"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." - Luciano Pavarotti

Sunday, November 28, 2010

St Lawrence, anyone hungry?


I've recently discovered an obsession with reading about saints. Therefore this blogs patron saint will be Saint Lawrence of Rome. Why? It's one of the closest I can find to dealing with cooking, and I really love the story. During the persecutions under Valerian in 258, numerous priest and deacons were being put to death. As the story goes Lawrence is said to have been martyred on a gridiron (a metal grate with parallel bars typically used for grilling meat, fish, vegetables, or combinations of such foods). In other words, a very very slow death. During his torture Lawrence cried out "This side’s done, turn me over and have a bite" ["Assum est, inquit, versa et manduca"].
Now, that's a story. What creeps me out the most is that Saint Lawrence's Feast Day is August 10th. What do you eat? Now, I'd like to point out that there are no records of anyone eating him though.


No comments:

Post a Comment