"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." - Luciano Pavarotti

Friday, January 7, 2011

"Pie na jar"

I've been obsessing over this idea for weeks now. I first saw an Etsy store selling them, and then decided to jump into making them myself. I love pies. I'll say that again I love pies. If you're a crust person you'll love these pies ever more. Starting out sticking the dough into the jar was a bit tricky, but after the first two I got the hang of it. Next time around I'd use normal 1/2 pint canning jars with the wide mouth. The only ones I could find at the store were these 'gourmet' 1/2 pint jars (as the label called them) and they were a little difficult to cover with the dough. Thank goodness I have little fingers.



This is the pie dough recipe I like to use: Smitten Kitchen: Pie Crust 101. When making the dough you only need to roll out part of it for the tops. The rest you can just press into the jars. If you're making a crumb top then you don't need to roll out any dough.

This is the pie recipe I use: The Pioneer Woman's Dreamy Apple Pie. You can use any variation of fruits, just adjust sugar depending how sour/sweet your fruit is.

Don't forget to brush the top of the pies with egg yolks and sprinkle with sugar. I cooked them at 375 degrees for 45 minutes (thawed), frozen 60 minutes. And yes! Its been tested quite a bit, you can bake them frozen. Just set them in the oven while the oven is preheating.


(No that isn't my hairy arm :grins: )

No comments:

Post a Comment